Thursday, January 05, 2006

A question of faith

I am not a religious person. I respect the rights of anyone who has a faith to be allowed to practise it, no matter what their persuasion is. I am strongly against religion having power over the running of countries though. It's all very well running a country as per the teachings in the bible. But what if you don't believe in that particular version? Or even that particular bible. I don't believe in any God. I find it incredible that in a modern age any one else does. Surely if such an entity exists, then the same must be true for the devil! Therefore he must have servants on earth as well. When are we going to start burning witches again?
What if I'm wrong? What if there is an all powerful deity running the show with an all seeing eye? Which one? There are so many to choose from. I fear if I did get into religion as a means of covering my self for the final judgement, I would go to all that trouble and end up backing the wrong horse.
I watched the news yesterday as events unfolded in a mining town in West Virginia. I can't imagine the pain of being told, your loved ones are safe and then finding out an agonizing three hours later, that they had in fact all died. I don't want to dwell on the actual situation but it did highlight a point that I wish to make. When they found out they were safe, the crowd praised the Lord and burst spontaneously into religious song. On hearing the tragic news, several raised doubts that there even was a god. "If there was how could he let this happen to us?"
The important part here it "TO US" There have been numerous natural disasters(acts of God) over the last year. The Tsunami, New Orleans flooding, Indian/Pakistan earthquake and many many more. Not all of which get into the news bulletins. I presume that for the folk of the mining village, the thousands upon thousands of deaths were all part of the lord's plan. And those in the firing line were just part of his bigger picture. But as soon as something happens in their community they question his existence.
I agree that having a faith can bring great comfort to the believer. The idea that when someone dies, you will see them again in heaven can ease the grief and help with the healing process. I do however liken this to having the same credence as, telling a child to place their tooth under their pillow, for a fairy to swap it for money, as a means of easing the truma of losing your teeth.
We all know as parents, that being good for Santa is a marvellous incentive for well behaved children from November onwards. We pull the wool over their eyes and get compliance in return.
Now If you were in charge of a body of people and wanted blind obedience, wouldn't it make sense to use a similar approach? Don't use Santa though. December is expensive enough. Make sure the gifts are promised for the after life. That way you wont get any complaints!
The last thing you want to see is members of a riotous crowd proclaiming " I asked for Subbuteo this Christmas and I didn't get it. I'm beginning to doubt there is a Santa! How could he do this to US?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Review your existing book of business
Devise campaigns eg DGT for clients who have previously taken care of NRB concerns but may be anxious over the remainder of their estate.
With Profits funds with closed offices eg RSA/NPI/Pearl etc
Develop solicitor/accountancy connections - there will be less time to do this in the lead up to the tax year end / A-Day
Keep positive
Pump your broker consultants for ideas

Why isn't Various D:Wave on your favourite music?

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home