Wednesday, April 05, 2006

In defence of Sir Clive

I read in the Sunday Times this week that Sir Clive Sinclair is launching another new product. It's a fold-up bicycle to be used by commuters. In this case it is obvious that comparisons are going to be made with his ill-fated Sinclair C5, they are both means of transport after all.
I do feel that he should not just be remembered for designing an embarrasing and probably dangerous failure. I can't imagine anyone ever traveling todays roads in one of those, inches from the tarmac and feeling anything less than being about to die. I like to remember him as the man who brought computers to the masses. I'm sure there are thousands of boffins out there who could list pages of his computers shortcomings. But as a teenager in the 80's, I saw my first ZX Spectrum and I was hooked. My brother and I shared a 48K version that christmas and I had more hours of enjoyment out of it than any present before or since. This includes our subbutteo set!! That's how good it was.
Kids today don't know they're born(later I'll be calling for the return of National Service) We used to crowd around the computers in John Menzies for as long as we were allowed. typing our name and making it fill the screen and feeling like computer geniuses. Whizzkids no less. The games were less about the graphics and all about playability. With some of the games it took 3/4 buttons to guarantee hours of game playing entertainment. (Manic Miner, Space invaders, Jetpac...) Admitedly other required tactics, skill and the co-ordinated use of 15 fingers. (Ant Attack, Escape from Warlock Mountain!)
We played adventure games in groups. Mainly TheHobbit. If you got it wrong you would have to unplug the machine and wait an eternity for it to reload. Thanks to my brother we found out if you attempt to "kill Gandalf" He actually kills you. Also if you're in a room with a box, and you type "Climb in the box" You can't get out. Heady days.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manic Miner, 1983? was it really that long ago?

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home